The eagle eyed Carlton spotted a new Facebook feature today. If you look carefully in the post below you’ll see a little loud speaker icon and the suggestion to “Notify a few friends about this post”:
Here’s the sequence of what happens when you click “Get Started”:
Of course he decided to test it out with me so sent off the notification:
He’s then told that I will get a notification:
And I duly received a little pop up about the post (which I managed not to screen grab!)
This is all part of a drive from Facebook to re-ignite our fading love affair with engagement. As has been widely reported, people simply aren’t connecting as much on Facebook as they used to. With our Facebook friendship nets being cast ever wider, and including those people you’ve been trying to avoid since junior school as well as someone you once met at a conference, the trend is for a far more guarded response. Facebook is calling it “context collapse” and, according to a Bloomberg report as examined in The Independent recently they are busy dreaming up ways of reversing the trend. This is a pretty good example of what The Independent described as encouraging “personal sharing”.
Have you got it rolled out yet?
- Marie’s interview on current affairs show ITV Tonight: Facebook data and ads targeting special - 17th April 2018
- Harnessing the Power of Facebook Groups: BrightonSEO Talk - 7th April 2018
- Why NFO is the new SEO - 5th March 2018
- How to Drive Traffic With Your Facebook Cover Photo - 28th February 2018
- Facebook News Feed Optimization (NFO) - 12th February 2018
- First glimpse of new Facebook Group Admin Tools Hub - 12th February 2018