The eagle eyed Carlton spotted a new Facebook feature today. If you look carefully in the post below you'll see a little loud speaker icon and the suggestion to "Notify a few friends about this post":
Here's the sequence of what happens when you click "Get Started":
Of course he decided to test it out with me so sent off the notification:
He's then told that I will get a notification:
And I duly received a little pop up about the post (which I managed not to screen grab!)
This is all part of a drive from Facebook to re-ignite our fading love affair with engagement. As has been widely reported, people simply aren't connecting as much on Facebook as they used to. With our Facebook friendship nets being cast ever wider, and including those people you've been trying to avoid since junior school as well as someone you once met at a conference, the trend is for a far more guarded response. Facebook is calling it "context collapse" and, according to a Bloomberg report as examined in The Independent recently they are busy dreaming up ways of reversing the trend. This is a pretty good example of what The Independent described as encouraging "personal sharing".
Have you got it rolled out yet?
- How to calculate the reach of your Facebook GROUP! - 7th November 2017
- How what you write on Facebook could be killing your reach - 31st October 2017
- [Insights Metrics] Finding the reach of your Facebook Group - 27th July 2017
- 12 tips for local optimisation on Facebook - 7th June 2017
- [New feature] Using the New Inbox on your Facebook Page: the Universal Inbox is here! - 10th May 2017
- How to post as a Facebook Page in your Group PLUS how to link a Facebook Group to a Page - 10th May 2017