You can add captions to a video to make it accessible to a broader audience using the SubRip (SRT) format. If you’re just getting started, learn about the naming convention for .srt files and common .srt formatting issues.
SRT files are tricky little files to create so we at The Digiterati commissioned some software to do it for you. Click below to download SRT Made Easy totally free-of-charge.
To add captions to your video:
Instructions for a video you have not yet uploaded:
- Click Photo/Video at the top of your Timeline.
- Click Upload Photos/Video.
- Choose a video from your computer, add details about the video, then click Post.
- When the video is ready, it’ll appear on your Timeline. Click Just Now or the gray date and time at the top of the post.
- Hover over the video, click Options at the bottom and select Edit this video.
- Click Choose File below Upload SRT files and select a .srt file from your computer.
- Click Save.
To add captions in other languages, repeat steps 4-7 for each additional language you want to add.
Instructions for a video you have previously uploaded (including Facebook Live videos):
- Go to your Page.
- Click Publishing Tools in the top menu.
- Click Videos.
- Hover over the video you want to caption until an Edit icon appears to the right of the title text. Click Edit Video.
- Click Captions.
- Upload your SRT file.
- Click Save.