Optimum dimensions for a Facebook Group cover imageOur designer reckons that the optimum size for Group cover images is 1602 x 500 pixels. In the centre of that is an area of 886 pixels wide which is where we recommend you insert any text. See the Musicademy cover image below. The shaded area at the top is what is visible on both desktop and mobile. If you put text either side of that it will be cropped on mobile. And if you put text below that you will find Facebook copy gets popped on top of it. Here's how that image looks on desktop: And here is how it looks on the browser version of Facebook on mobile (left) and also the mobile app (right):
Click To TweetSo all is well with our design. At least until you look at it on the Groups app and this happens: Back to the drawing board with this as a suggested compromise that will look fine wherever it surfaces has the copy in dead centre: One other tip - use a PNG rather than a JPG for optimum resolution.
How not to do itI actually really struggled to find examples of Facebook Group cover pictures that didn't have some compromise when viewed on mobile. To call out a couple of examples here is Mari Smith and Social Media Masterminds. Both have very nice cover images designed for desktop: But both suffer from text being cropped on mobile with Social Media Masterminds additionally finding copy being covered over by Facebook's Group name text.
Online training with the Digiterati AcademyGet affordable, accessible and applicable training with the Digiterati Academy. We won't solve all your problems but we'll certainly make sure that social media marketing isn't one of them. There's even a course on creating, running and marketing an effective Facebook Group (and it covers how to create the perfect Group cover image) Find out more!
- Do your emojis actually end up looking the way you intend them to? - 20th March 2017
- Our biggest course to date is now live (and it’s not about Facebook!) - 20th February 2017
- Facebook Events: the Cinderella content type that’s more glass slipper than pumpkin - 18th January 2017
- Facebook’s new Post Options: What you need to know - 7th January 2017
- Setting up shop and services sections in your Facebook Page - 4th January 2017
- Facebook’s Page layout has changed again! - 13th December 2016