Optimum dimensions for a Facebook Group cover imageOur designer reckons that the optimum size for Group cover images is 1602 x 500 pixels. In the centre of that is an area of 886 pixels wide which is where we recommend you insert any text. See the Musicademy cover image below. The shaded area at the top is what is visible on both desktop and mobile. If you put text either side of that it will be cropped on mobile. And if you put text below that you will find Facebook copy gets popped on top of it. Here's how that image looks on desktop: And here is how it looks on the browser version of Facebook on mobile (left) and also the mobile app (right):
Click To TweetSo all is well with our design. At least until you look at it on the Groups app and this happens: Back to the drawing board with this as a suggested compromise that will look fine wherever it surfaces has the copy in dead centre: One other tip - use a PNG rather than a JPG for optimum resolution.
How not to do itI actually really struggled to find examples of Facebook Group cover pictures that didn't have some compromise when viewed on mobile. To call out a couple of examples here is Mari Smith and Social Media Masterminds. Both have very nice cover images designed for desktop: But both suffer from text being cropped on mobile with Social Media Masterminds additionally finding copy being covered over by Facebook's Group name text.
Online training with the Digiterati AcademyGet affordable, accessible and applicable training with the Digiterati Academy. We won't solve all your problems but we'll certainly make sure that social media marketing isn't one of them. There's even a course on creating, running and marketing an effective Facebook Group (and it covers how to create the perfect Group cover image) Find out more!
- As a digital marketer can you relate to any of these? - 28th October 2016
- Cracking Facebook’s News Feed Algorithm: a New Definition of Edgerank - 26th October 2016
- Why you should upload links not photos to Facebook - 14th October 2016
- SRT Made Easy: The Digiterati’s unique free software for making captions and subtitles for Facebook and YouTube video - 2nd September 2016
- [New!] In-depth fan data on your Facebook Page + FaceBug fix! - 11th August 2016
- New Facebook Page design: How to re-order the left and right hand columns - 11th August 2016